Duties under the CDM 2015 Regulations
- Manage the project and allocate sufficient time and resources throughout.
- Provide Pre- Construction Plan information to all the designers and contractors involved.
- Ensure the Construction Phase Plan is being developed by the Principal Contractor.
- Ensure the H&S File is being drawn up by the Principal Designer.
- Prepare the Health and Safety File.
- Plan, manage and co-ordinate Health and Safety in the Pre-Construction Phase.
- Assess and manage all risks & ensure all designers are performing their duties.
- Provide all relevant information to all duty holders –especially contractors – to help them manage, monitor and co-ordinate H&S in the construction phase.
- Try to avoid hazards and reduce risks through good design.
- If there are risks then they should provide adequate information with design drawings and specifications.
- Manage Health and Safety in the Construction Phase
- Prepare the Construction Phase Plan.
- Ensure co-operation between all contractors.
- Co-ordinate legal requirements for contractor health and safety.
- Share Health and Safety information with the Principal Designer about the Pre-Construction Phase.
- Ensure that staff are consulted in their Health and Safety.
- Plan and Monitor all construction work under their control
- Co-ordinate with others in the team.
- Comply with directions given by the Principal Director or Principal Contractor.
- Prepare a Construction phase plan for single contractor projects.
- Ensure workers have the required skills knowledge and experience to ensure their own Health and Safety.
- Ensure they have appropriate supervision instruction and training.
Pre – Construction Plan.
- Provides Health and Safety information required by the Principal Designer and the Principal Contractor to enable them to carry out their duties and to plan and manage the project.
- Provides the basis to develop the Construction Phase Plan and the Health and Safety File.
- Must be a live document that is relevant, detailed and proportionate to the risk levels.
Construction Phase Plan.
- Sets out the arrangements for securing Health and Safety during construction.
- Site Rules
- Specific measures for specific risks
- Drawn up during the pre-construction phase but before the construction site is set up.
- Must hold the Pre - Construction Plan information and must be reviewed to ensure its effectiveness.
Health and Safety File.
- Drawings and construction method details.
- Equipment and maintenance facilities, procedures and manuals.
- Details of all utilities, services, emergency and fire fighting systems.
- Prepared by Principal Designer and Principal Contractor.
- Regularly reviewed and passed to Client at handover.